Monday, September 15, 2008

Janky John's Cook Shanty

Recently, a friend and I made a discovery while walking to Makino staion. Within sight of the station, along side of the canal, there is a small, old and pretty dirty looking restaurant with a name I could not read. So I decided to give it my own name: Janky John's Cook Shanty. I figured we should give it a try despite the look of the place. The food was surprisingly good and very cheap. Afterwards I realized that I have never had this kind of experience in America. A place like this run by one old guy would not be known for anything good in america, but from what I have heard, small places like this are all over japan. Some of the best yakisoba, udon or okonomiyake can be found in tiny shops like this one. This is something I admire about Japan, in contrast with the endless amount of bland chain stores I am used to.

7 comments:

hovis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hovis said...

first

ktboychuk said...

I, too, have seen this place and yet I must admit I never thought to eat there... What would you recommend?

Pat Fowler said...

well, i like the take5 or kimuchi yakisoba

visual gonthros said...

The izakaya you "discovered" is quite famous and well known in the area. I am not sure it is appropriate to give the place your own name rather than finding out what its real name is. Ask around and you will hear a lot about this place. You might want to update this post...

I am glad you are exploring and discovering new things. Keep up the adventure and work on your information gathering skills.

Please enable anonymous comments.

Joe said...

JANKY JOHN'S COOK SHANTY 4 LYFE YO

Professor Fedorowicz,
"Makino Osake Dojo" is the real name but considering the rest of the clientele don't speak English...
The name must never be translated to Japanese!

Anonymous said...

mmm Janky Johns! I saw me in the pic and had to comment.

Oh BTW. The word verification phrase that I had to type in order to post this was 'trani'

wtf

- Justin